Food Standards Agency - England and Wales
Data CreatorPope, Addy
PublisherUniversity of Edinburgh
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPope, Addy. (2017). Food Standards Agency - England and Wales, [Dataset]. University of Edinburgh. https://doi.org/10.7488/ds/1924.
DescriptionThis dataset contains the results of Food Standards Agency inspections of food outlets in England and Wales. The FSA inspect and rate food outlets, scores of 0-5 are returned with 0/1 indicating urgent and immediate action is required and 5 being exemplary. To pass, an outlet must score 3 or above. Even 0 and 1 scores are allowed to remain open, only outlets that are deemed to pose an immediate risk to health anre closed down. 91% of outlets pass, but that leaves 9% that fail. The dataset contains over 300,000 records. Data source from the Guardian website () who in turn sourced it from the Food Standards Agency. It was downloaded from the Guardian as a CSV and converted to a shp file in QGIS. Data was cleaned and converted from Txt to float using MMQGIS. The original data contains 340,000 records but the shp file has 310,000. The lost records did not contain lat/lon. The most probable reason for this is that they were outside catering or mobile catering and had no fixed address for their kitchens. This data is free to use, but acknowledging The FSA and the Guardian would be courteous. GIS vector data. This dataset was first accessioned in the EDINA ShareGeo Open repository on 2013-08-09 and migrated to Edinburgh DataShare on 2017-02-22.
The following licence files are associated with this item: